Hello!

Hello! Come feed my fishy fishes :D
The yellow one is my favourite.
His name is Pee Wee.
#I rarely update my FB, Twitter maybe, Blog sometimes. Find me on Instagram ! Weedaphne :)

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Plan B

After months of praying about the directions in pursuing music, and the impatient monster that kept threatening me whenever I didn't get any answers from Him, He finally revealed a puzzle to me just now. A professor of Church Music from Baylor University was the speaker for today's Seminar on Worship. Something kept pinching at the corner of my heart every time he say about "be proud of your Malaysian culture and make them as the element of your music". I felt the urge and burden to write create Christian songs that relate to our Malaysian lifestyle and culture.

Instead of borrowing from Hillsongs and Planet Shakers' songs, even Chris Tomlin or Matt Redman, don't you think that we should come out with our own p&w songs that we can relate to it and make it more personal to our hearts? It's alright to sing Chris Tomlin's and other US faithful composers' songs. However, we too, need to be aware that we have a rich culture here and our very own Malaysian identity that are waiting to be poured out through songs. Picture this :

What is really like of Christmas songs to Malaysians when the lyrics of white snow, cold weather, snow man and warm jacket to keep us out of the cold doesn't even apply to us? In fact, we should be writing and creating new Christmas songs about having nasi lemak for breakfast, daddy in his sarong and humid hot weather on... Christmas day! :) And creating hymnals using the form of a pantun, for example. Or probably come out with a Malaysian version of the Lord's prayer (still keeping the original meaning of it) so that it's easier for non-believers and even believers to truly grasp hold the meaning of it. Or create songs using Malaysian's cool slang language. Then with the right lyrics, instruments and arranging, I'm sure it'll reach out to many lives. Dr. Lim Swee Hong was just saying it and I believe that God is moving Malaysian Christians in this generation to do something wonderful, each having their own role planned neatly and carefully by God. Remember the Malaysia-revival and youth-of-this-generation-involved thingy almost every camp speakers used to talk about, it's sooo happening right now, in fact it has already begun!

This is it. I'm no longer pursuing film scoring, but having two majors in consideration : Contemporary Writing and Production OR Song Writing. If God is crazy and awesome enough to ask me to take up double majors, nothing is impossible, though it's scary and if if if this is what He wants me to do, I shall fear not. Also, considering of pursuing another Bachelor in Church Music in Baylor University. Ahah, back to praying then lahh ;) When we faithfully obey Him, He will DEFINITELY provide, protect and plan niceely for you and me.

No comments: